Saturday, January 19, 2008

A Week From Now

My vacation starts in just one week and I think I will be visiting St. Vincent and the Grenadines, islands in the Lesser Antilles.

Being a sensitive soul, I don’t think it would be proper to remind them that they are the Lesser Antilles and will never be the Greater Antilles. (“Ha, ha, ha; Jamaica has greater antilles than you lesser shrimps.”) That could cause some sort of uprising, possibly causing people to line up behind the Ward Island brothers, Lee and Wind. You can’t break Lee, as he is strong, but you can break Wind at your own risk.

There’s also Grenada, not to be confused with Granada. Gre-(with an “e”)-nada, pronounced something like “grenade,” is an island in the Caribbean, whose mental hospital we bombed one fine day and apologized weakly with a, “Sorry; my bad.” Gra-(with an “a”)-nada is in Spain and also in a song favored by tenors who think that have The World’s Finest Voice. You hear it as “Grah-nah-dah,” as in (very loudly at this point): “Then moonlit Granada will live again, The glory of yesterday, romantic and gay.”

Grenadine syrup, favored for flavoring drinks both hard and soft, comes from the French word “grenade,” but I don’t think it has anything to do with the explosive. It seems to be connected more with the pomegranate, from which the liquid comes, and not at all with the island under consideration.

Anyway, I think I’ve digressed a bit much. I just wanted to say I’m going to St. V. and the Grenadines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home