Monday, January 15, 2007

A Drug Dealer Goes To My Church

The biggest drug dealer in Exeter was at Mass on Sunday. He’s there every week, then moving the drugs for the next six days.

He’s been taking care of my needs for maybe twenty years now. I need a prescription filled, he does it accurately and quickly. I, on my part, give him a week’s notice when I need a refill, just in case he is out of it, or has another customer and enough for only one.

There’s nothing quite like a good pharmacist. By “good,” I mean someone who keeps an extra hit of what you need; a professional who can tell you what meds will interact with others, or what will react with over-the-counter meds, so you don’t get yourself in trouble.

Of course, as I mentioned, you have to play ball. You can’t wait until just before closing time to run in with a bottle to be refilled; likewise, you can’t call and ask to have the store stay open for just a few minutes more so you can dash down to get your meds.

On the top of my meds, I write its name, when it will run out and how many refills are left. I do much the same on my calendar, but a week ahead I have a note indicating it’s time to call my druggist and let him know I will need a refill within the week.

It works well for both of us. I never get caught short, never have that awful feeling that it’s Saturday evening and I’ve just emptied the bottle.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Part of our family's "Disaster Preparedness" supplies (aka "Paranoia Kit") is an extra 30 days of the rat poison (aka sodium warfarin - an anticoagulant) that keeps my blood running and me walking. It took several months to do it, as I only get a 30-day supply, and can refill at about 23 days. But now I don't have to worry about that horrid Saturday night feeling you were mentioning. "Be prepared" is not just a saying for Boy Scouts.

January 16, 2007 1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home