Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I Want To Be Famous

Seems as if no one person ever invents something; the idea for the new device apparently is floating around in the general consciousness. Someone gets the credit, but many people are plugged into it; the thought is out there and you don’t realize you may be the first … or second.

When I was really young, I once thought how good it would be to have an automobile transmission that would be automatic and not have to manually shift; darned if they didn’t beat me to it. I also thought it would be good to have a music system in your car that would not depend on a needle and turntable; well, along came the cassette tape and player. Then I thought of a braking system for locomotives that would use downhill pull to create a current; drat … some guy made Dynamic Braking before me.

I suggested the wide-mouth jar to Kraft Foods when I was 11 or 12, not knowing they were also trying to work out a new design for it (and thanked me for the idea). Around the same time, we were flipping pie tins from the nearby Frisbie Pie Company, now wondering if we were the original Frisbee tossers.

Do you remember a song, “The Big Hurt,” and its “swooshing” sound from the high to low audio frequencies? While I was experimenting with that effect, I heard the same thing on the radio from this song. I thought, “I feel like the guy who invented 6-Up.”

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got an idea for a great invention. You perfect it and we'll both be famous. And rich!

I want a device to place in the front yard. It will pick up on too-loud sound systems coming from passing cars and bounce the waves back to the source. That way I won't have to listen to my glassware rattle anymore.

Oh, and if the sound is beyond a certain level, the device should cause the waves bouncing back to blow the source out of commission.

Can you get right to work on that? :))

December 12, 2006 11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! how about a magnetic pulse generator that would fry the speaker magnet in the cars?

December 12, 2006 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home