Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Wednesday For You; Columnday For Me

Columnday is here again. This is the day when I look out the window and wonder what I'm going to write for the newspaper's Friday edition. It's going to be on Big Band music; that much I know. It's also going to remind me how quickly Wednesdays come along -- hardly have I finished a column for one than another is coming down the track at me like a fast passenger train. No other day arrives so regularly and as fast as Wednesday, Columnday; the others come and go in some sort of order and, generally, not that fast.

June Allyson passed on to glory this week. She was a cute actress over the years and, I think, did commercials at the end just as cute, if not older. I'll see how much I can find out about her and if it's 18 column inches, I'm ok for another week. I mean, yeah, it's sad when one of the good ones go, but it's good for a columnist; you have these mixed feelings all the time. She was cute and bubbly on-screen, had her personal difficulties off-screen as we all do.

It's surprising, sometimes, to realize that many of these people have home lives not much different from ours. Some are star-struck to the point of feeling they are always stars, even at home, but lots of them turn it off when they go home and deal with the kids, the garbage, the lawn.

And me? I'm doing my laundry, thinking about making another mug of tea, writing this blog, prepping my radio show and pondering June Allyson's contribution to the arts. It's Columnday and she will be the subject.