Saturday, July 22, 2006

Oddly Enough...

I never thought much about it before; apparently I put my socks on left-right, but put my shoes on right-left. During meals, I usually eat and drink with my left hand (but not always); afterwards, when we have dessert, I eat and drink with my right hand. Sitting down, I write with my left hand, but am right-handed when writing at a blackboard.

I guess there are a lot of things we do without particularly thinking about them. My grandfather, so I understand, lit his pipe as he left work and struck the match on the same brick for 52 years or whatever it was. I get out of bed on the wall (south) side, even though the door and bathroom are on the open (north) side. Why? Because I do and I really don't have a rational answer other than it seems the right way to do it.

Like many people, I do sometimes start reading magazines from the back. That's only because the editors realized that back pages are good pages, not to be wasted on classified ads. The pieces are short, interesting and good reading if you are eating alone (or in a diner). Why do people start there? I don't know, but it's a not-uncommon practice.

What I definitely don't like is when I show a person something printed and they immediately turn it over to see what's on the other side. Now I paste it up on card stock (we have lots of leftover tickets here) and paste two of the cards together. When someone looks at what I gave them and immediately turns it over, there's just a blank side. Sometimes they will ask why I did that and I'll nicely say, "Most people want to see what's on the other side; I want you to see what I brought you."

Everybody Has A Story
Philip Waznakowski passed away recently. He was in the Army and served in the Pacific. He was present at General MacArthur's famous landing where he remarked, "I will return to the troops." It mentioned his later career as a policeman: "He was discreet with handling offenders while upholding the laws." I would assume that a good many first-timers got off with a stern warning and never became second-timers.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: socks and shoes

I recall an episode of "All in the Family" that dealt with this topic (sort of). Archie was watching Meathead put on his socks and shoes, and noticed that he put on his left sock, then his left shoe, then his right sock, then his right shoe.

(paraphrasing)

Archie: "The whole world puts on a sock and a sock and a shoe and a shoe. Why do you put on a sock and a shoe and a sock and a shoe?"

Mike: "I just do."

Archie: "What happens if halfway through, there's a fire? How are you going to get out? My way, I have a sock and a sock on, and I can run outside!"

Mike: "But what if it's raining or snowing? Your way, your feet get wet. My way, I can hop on one foot and stay dry."

And so it goes.

July 23, 2006 8:43 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

Dear Miller Man -

When I see an obituary for someone who has a story, I try to note it here at the end of the day's little essay. Somewhere there should be mention of a cop who knew just how to handle a person who didn't deserve to be arrested, but knew a talking-to was all that was needed.

May he rest in peace and be the recipient of the mercy he showed so many.

August 01, 2006 12:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 16.01
louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, nike free, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike air max, michael kors outlet, uggs on sale, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, louboutin, prada handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, ugg boots, michael kors, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, ray ban sunglasses, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, gucci outlet, louboutin outlet, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co, replica watches, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike outlet, christian louboutin outlet, tiffany jewelry, burberry, ugg boots, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, louboutin shoes, louis vuitton

January 06, 2016 2:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

longchamp, nike air max, north face, true religion jeans, coach outlet, hogan, true religion outlet, michael kors, replica handbags, nike air max, nike blazer, louboutin pas cher, nike free run uk, converse pas cher, new balance pas cher, nike huarache, north face, nike trainers, michael kors, abercrombie and fitch, ray ban pas cher, lacoste pas cher, lululemon, timberland, vanessa bruno, air max, ralph lauren pas cher, michael kors, hollister, ray ban uk, vans pas cher, coach purses, burberry, oakley pas cher, michael kors, hermes, nike air max, true religion jeans, true religion jeans, nike free, mulberry, air force, tn pas cher, nike roshe run, air jordan pas cher, ralph lauren uk, sac longchamp, nike roshe, hollister pas cher, sac guess, longchamp pas cher

January 06, 2016 2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home