Saturday, July 15, 2006

The Church of Saints Barnes & Noble

Fiction is not where I hang out, even if (as a mariner) I am attracted to the idea of a green light at the end of Daisy's dock. That is almost all I remember from the book.

But history, railroads, broadcasting, maritime: toss it at me. When I was in grammar school, I read the entire "Landmark" series of American history, along with anything I could get from the town library. Generally, I went through a book each day while there and the librarians told me I was no longer restricted to the "Junior" section and could roam the Adult section and check out any book I wanted. I would not know this phrase until much later, but it was like having a credit card in a whorehouse.

My bathroom reading, at the moment, is "Great American Eccentrics." Good, quick reading. Next one will probably be "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Pirates," if I don't assign it to some other part of my day. I might take it on my upcoming cruise and leave it in the ship's library for others to enjoy. Arrrrrrrr!

I left the paperback edition of "Plain Speaking," Harry Truman's oral biography in print (a wonderful book, by the way) at my mother's house and would read it in the bathroom. All the pages were now loose from being read so often and I could just lay it on the bathtub's rim. Must have read it four or five times over and I think I have a better copy here for further perusal.

"The Bermuda Triangle Mystery Solved," by Larry Kusche will have you shouting "Bunk! Bunk!" at your tv screen when all those Triangle shows come on. A thoroughly researched and highly readable book about the occurrences, such as they were (and, in many cases, were not).

"The Last Log of the Titanic," by David Brown, gives a moment-by-moment explanation of most likely happened on the ship, taken from the original testimony. Darn, people overlooked so many clues and this fellow managed to put them in context. No, the ship did NOT hit an iceberg and nobody ever said it did; that's on page 97.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Carten said...

Come to think of it I haven't been to the bathroom in seven months!

Wow! One good fart and you could set up a fertilizer stand in your front yard.

July 19, 2006 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home