Friday, September 24, 2010

I Got Rid Of My First TV

I’m not sure what led me to get a tv set. We had cable in our apartment building, free to everyone, but I had never owned a tv before in my life; nor did I miss it. I guess you don’t miss what you never had. I’d done some tv before, but being in the control room is far different from actually watching it in your stocking feet.

Of course, being in the control room sometimes is a lot more fun, because there is a certain amount of excitement as things work or (often) fall apart.

But back to the tv set. I don’t know exactly when I got it, but I do know it was when I returned from taking some refresher courses at the University of Notre Dame. That was when I hit 51, I guess. Why it was a 13” Motorola came about because I saw one in a dumpy sandwich shop in Nome, Alaska.

The shop was not one of those “chain let’s make it look dumpy” places. This place really was a dump. The Food Network has a show, “Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives.” This wasn’t good enough to be a dive. But it had this neat little tv and I thought it would look good in my room.

So, anyway, one of my friends who went to the school here dropped off her daughter to start her school career. But without a tv. Since I upgraded to a 20”, I asked if she would like to borrow mine and it’s in her dorm room right now. She’s got a tube and I have a little more room on the floor under my desk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home