Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time

Lots of things do. It’s not the story of my life, but certainly it has to be a chapter in the book. At my judgement, I’ll just say: “It seemed like a good idea at the time.”

Let’s take my little jaunt from our old house to what was becoming our new. My parents and brother were going to drive down there to take a look at the progress, but I was nowhere to be found. My grandparents said they’d keep an eye out for me and the folks took off. I showed up later and had what seemed like a good idea at the time.

I got on my tricycle, all of 7, and decided I was going to follow them. Nobody was going to leave me behind. The concept of crossing major roads and not really knowing the way was lost on me; I just knew I had to go south until I reached the water. I guess I got about a mile before the family car came screeching to a halt on its way back.

At that point, I started to realize it might not have been that good of an idea. I got a fairly good talking-to and my brother had to walk back with me.

Many years later, I was outside Quebec City where my brother lives. He, his wife, I and a friend were walking around when I realized finishing off that last cup of tea wasn’t such a good idea at the time, nor was missing the chance to take a leak before going out.

After a while, things got painful and I ended up standing close to someone’s hedge, taking care of matters, hoping nobody called the cops.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I normally wait for you to post something before I comment on it - but this time is different. August 24th - the date of your posting - is my wedding anniversary. Your heading, "It seemed like a good idea at the time" made me chuckle. Happily, it still seems like a good idea 36 years later. Thanks for the smile.

September 09, 2010 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your title could easily be my title for my autobiography...LOL

Exit 318

September 11, 2010 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home