Sunday, July 04, 2010

Back Is The Adventurer

Normally, when the phone rings and I hear, “Good morning; this is your wake-up call,” I know I’m on the ship and the cute automated voice summons me to breakfast.

No phone call this morning. But, yes, it was my wake-up call: back to reality. The cruise is over, and if yesterday’s interminable train and bus trips didn’t seal that for me, waking up here just in time for church certainly did. I’ve even heard people say, “Well, the cruise was fine, but it’s time to get back home.”

Really? What planet did they escape from? When was it ever time to leave a place where you are waited on hand & foot, you are taken from one port to another in the middle of the night, you are entertained by various groups in different small spots in the ship? “Heaven is nice, but it’s time to get back to earth.”

Fools. Yes, return we must to an unbending reality of life, but to say things like, “Well, it was fine but it’s time to get back,” indicates a basic, if not horrendously flawed, view of vacations. Leave longing for more; take the schedule for next year; discuss what you would like to do fifty-two weeks hence.

Gently, ever so gently, have something to look forward to. Not so much as to dominate your mind or to lessen your fun when it actually arrives, but just a little weekly glance at what you might do when there. I find it works very well for me; I already have made a minor clothing adjustment 49 weeks out from next year’s trip.

3 Comments:

Anonymous ruthc said...

Welcome home, traveler. You've been missed around these parts.

July 04, 2010 9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you are counting the days until your next "escape." When you are gone, many of us count days until your return. Welcome back. I owe you a steaming mug of tea. Perhaps iced tea is more appropriate these days. Just curious... did the rubber-roach make its annual appearance?

July 06, 2010 9:35 AM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

Not only the rubber roach, but a very small frog.

July 06, 2010 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home