Monday, March 22, 2010

It's "Writing Night"

I’ve been a writer since multitudinous decades, even longer than I’ve been in radio. (I’ve been in radio, as we say in the business, since Jesus did weekends.) As far as I know, it’s always been free-lance. That’s not because I don’t want to write on schedule; my chosen way has deadlines the same as employees. Contract writing is just more fun.

The challenge in not punching a time-clock is having to change your writing style and your reference sources for each assignment. I’m within three articles of finishing an assignment that goes nationwide; during that time, I’ve also been doing my regular newspaper column. They are nothing alike and I try not to do both the same day.

During April, I will sit down with another person to sketch out a series that will be approved and finished before the publication date later this year.

A few night during the week are “writing nights,” times when I can take care of my F-L assignments. A hot steaming mug of tea, some good music from my Internet source, several uninterrupted hours and I'm good to go. For one piece. If I am really lucky, I can do one piece and then do a blog entry (maybe two?).

That will explain why this blog is occasionally way behind. The writing comes first, because blogs don’t pay the rent, so to speak. I always hope to catch up and, after the last three pieces of this current assignment are done, you will see them show up regularly every day. Until June 19, when I’m on my yearly cruise.

3 Comments:

Anonymous ruthc said...

I always hope to catch up and, after the last three pieces of this current assignment are done, you will see them show up regularly every day.

Promise?

March 25, 2010 9:17 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

Promise.

March 25, 2010 10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want me to do your blogs while on your cruise?

I have a great memory about pogo sticks, school roofs, Carmen-Ghias and a snowplow driver barber and farmhand.

Exit 318

March 30, 2010 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home