Monday, March 15, 2010

The New Moon

The new moon, I discovered one day, means “no moon.” The opposite of a full moon. Why it’s new is beyond me. I would have thought the first day we could have seen the earliest crescent would be the new moon. But, alas, that is not to be. The new moon is hidden behind a dressing screen putting on her new crescent.

Sigmund Romberg had a very successful show in “The New Moon,” which I imagined would be lovers in the darkness of a starry night. But it turned out to be a galleon, or some such ship, called “The New Moon.” So much for romance on the high seas, or at least on shore with nary a lantern hanging in the sky.

When I’m on a cruise ship at night, with my trusty binoculars at the ready, I always hope (a) the moon has not risen or (b) it’s a new one.

A dark, moonless night (did I hear someone whisper, “Titanic”?) far out at sea with no shore lights, on the top deck, forward, where there are no deck lights. Best place; grab a deck chair, lay out flat and just gaze upward through the glasses. With this optical help and no moon, you will find loads of stars you never saw before.

Not only that, but when you wake up, you will feel rested enough to sample the midnight buffet and take in a few turns around the promenade deck. I must say, the moon coming up over the horizon is mighty impressive at sea, even if it is moving away from us at 1.5 or 2.5 inches per year. But don’t rush; it will still be around.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always wondered aboutthat. I'd look atthe calendar, ''New Moon'' look outside, Black!

I eventually resigned myself to the fact that I had been mooned by the calendar people....

CJV

March 23, 2010 4:12 PM  
Blogger xjd7410@gmail.com said...

20161123 junda
cheap uggs
oakley sunglasses wholesale
ray ban sunglasses
oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton handbags
louis vuitton outlet stores
louis vuitton
ugg outlet
adidas wings
louis vuitton pas cher

November 23, 2016 4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home