Wednesday, January 27, 2010

According To The Law...

If I have this right, and I may well not: I have a brother in Canada who was never my brother before the spring of 1961. Then, after a few words were spoken, he was.

At least, according to the law. I also acquired a sister that way; same words, same location, same circumstances.

Again, I may not have this right, but I’ve been thinking about it for a long time now and not just my situation, but a lot of others, as well. I see it in the obituaries I read over the radio, in conversations with friends.

My sister-in-law. Does that mean “according to the law, she is now my sister and hands off the merchandise”? Can a person (my brother, in this case) take unto himself a blushing bride in another country and then I suddenly pick up a sister, courtesy of the legal system? My mother gets a daughter without benefit of labor?

Does the law tell me I have brothers I never met? I know about Yves, because we met briefly many years ago. But do I have other siblings-in-law who are wandering around making nieces- and nephews-in-law, producing cousins-in-law?

If I were on the market and, unknowingly, hooked up with one of these French-speaking babes, would it be incest-in-law? If a sister-in-law married a brother-in-law, would it be a marriage-in-law? One must ponder these things over a steaming mug of tea.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh.........something like that old law which has been in existence since I do not know when but states that you cannot marry your widow's sister....

CJV

January 28, 2010 7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home