Tuesday, December 01, 2009

December 2009

It’s the beginning of the end: The first day of the last month of the year and time for a little reflecting: Just what have I accomplished these previous eleven months?

Time's running out for anything I've left undone, all those resolutions I made. They seemed so deliciously challenging in those heady days of early January when the low temperatures, the hot chocolate and the new calendars brought out the determination to renew our spirits. This year will be different!

Then comes February and the snow isn’t so pretty any more; the trees are bleak and the weather is just plain lousy. We don’t have the energy even to think of what our resolutions are, if we can even remember them. April comes and with it the delightful thought of dancing in the sun. Resolutions? Ha.

We have enough time for them, whatever they were. There are eight months left in the year to lose weight, stop smoking, clean the cellar, get our life in order. Right now, be happy my soul, for you have survived the bad months – so bad, this January and February, that the Romans didn’t even give them names. They just existed.

So here it is, the beginning of the end and maybe you’re the same person now as you were at the end of the beginning. You’re still an overweight smoker with a cluttered cellar and a disordered life. Maybe these next four weeks will be a good practice period to change all that: get a head start now and begin all over again on January 1. (Note: I don't smoke.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From, my wife upon reading this,

''Honey, if I were you I would not make any resolutions as I see no place for improvement''

Humbly yours, Exit 318

December 03, 2009 7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home