Monday, December 15, 2008

No Cat Ever Joined A Band

So I’m sitting here, late at night, having some porridge with raisins, listening to my favorite music via Pandora.com and all is right with my world.

I’ve shared my new-found Internet music site with some friends who can leave their computers on without messing up the phone line and they like it, as well. But I can’t talk it up to Sitka the Cat; he’s not interested because, apparently, musical sounds and rhythms don’t come together for him.

Pity. He’s missing Billy Strayhorn’s “Take The A Train,” as performed by Duke Ellington’s Orchestra. I’m hoping Eartha Kitt’s “Santa, Baby” will come up in rotation soon; it’s such a sexy letter to the fat man in the red suit, but alas, Sitka will miss it.

Cats and dogs just don’t get to appreciate music. It seems to be nothing more than random noise to them, sounds which they never can translate into interesting rhythms and cute little turns of notes. Maybe when their earthly lives are over and they live on with us in the Great Beyond we can sit around and talk composers and groups.

I’d like to introduce them to Cole Porter, Dave Brubeck, Les Brown, some of the better piano stylists. It would be great to see what their tastes are and to see what they liked in sounds on this planet that we never understood. You never know: they may have had their own music which we thought was nothing but random noise, but which fascinated and entertained them. Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I beg to differ, my pup enjoys music and will sing along at times.

December 16, 2008 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home