Sunday, December 14, 2008

Pandora's Box

Ah, Pandora: Be my life’s companion. Be in my room when I come home, be there to entertain me with music and allow me to choose what I want and then shuffle it as you will. Surprise me with music of the type I like.

All this at Pandora.com. Choose the styles, the Broadway shows, the holiday music, the singers, whatever. Fill in the “stations” with what you like and, in my case, the “Quick Mix” so you never know what’s coming next.

I have put in Big Band / Swing and I’m listening to a song I never heard before by Tito Puente, who I’d probably never program. But I did ask for something in a general style, and Pandora did it for me. It’s a nice piece.

Before this was the cast recording of My Fair Lady’s “I Could Have Danced All Night,” followed by Al Martino and “Love Letters.” I programmed Eartha Kitt doing “Santa Baby,” in her sultry rendition.

I should put “Ray Conniff” in the search box and see if Pandora has any of his music. I once thought he could walk on water (in his mid-50’s and beyond style) and still do. [Ah, just checked and they do; I added him.]

I do listen to a couple of radio stations online, but it’s nice to program my own. As I did when I was a dj.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a real College of Musical Knowledge.

December 14, 2008 11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home