Saturday, December 08, 2007

Licking Ol' Blue Eyes' Butt

I see where Frank Sinatra will have his own postage stamp. Well, ring-a-ding-ding, as "The Voice" would say.

When this came out in the newspaper, I used it on my radio show with one of the other announcers. He read the headline and I played about fifteen seconds of Sinatra singing, “If you turn me down once more, I’ll join the French Foreign Legion.” Then he continued with the piece and, at the end, I played the last fifteen or sixteen seconds of the song. Sounded good and worked well, especially since I don’t think many people know that song. You shouldn’t, in my opinion, use a big hit when you have an article about a singer. Do something different.

There are fewer things nicer than having your face on a postage stamp. That’s the good part. The bad part? You have to be pushing up daisies. For those intractable “Elvis Is Alive” people, they have the former without the latter, but I think they may be in a minority. Of course, Franklin D. Roosevelt and John F. Kennedy (I think) have had stamps and we all know they are being kept in hiding somewhere on our planet.

While I greatly admire his singing, I never really thought too highly of the guy. Too hot a temper, too many cronies who did his dirty work for him, too many coincidental underworld connections.

So, if I buy his stamp, at least it will be one of those press-on types and I won’t have to lick his @. That would be the ultimate indignity for me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You raise a good point here, Carten. Too often people over-glorify the dead out of an undeserved respect. Many times a person who died offered little or none of a similar level of respect to others while alive. Too often we fail to 'call 'em as we sees 'em' after someone dies. I'm not saying to go and knock over tombstones or disgrace a dead person's name. But why when someone dies does it become blaspheme to mention even their slightest transgressions while alive. Richard Nixon comes to mind. Gerald Ford another. Even the recently late football player Sean Taylor didn't have the choir boy image the media portrayed in the days after his passing.
I know those days are sensitive time for family, friends, fans. But has society sunk to a level at which we de-sensitive ourselves to the higher standard of conduct and essentially give people the free pass, so to speak?

December 10, 2007 6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hated richard nixon

December 10, 2007 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home