Friday, May 11, 2007

Things I Dream Of

Oh, just about everything. The absolute last thing I want to post on a public blog would be my dreams. Even though few people post on this site, I hear from a great many who read these ramblings. That translates to lots of amateur dream analysts.

I have rather vivid, realistic dreams; that may have more to do with some meds I take than any other reason. Generally, I get about three “first run” movies per night, all rather interesting.

Sigmund Freud was big into dream analysis, but he couldn’t keep that phallic symbol cigar out of his mouth, so I don’t pay much attention to someone analyzing my head while he’s doing symbolic oral sex. Besides, he refused to have his own dreams checked out, saying it would somehow destroy his authority. One can only wonder what sort of antics were going on inside his noggin while he was making Z’s.

Some people don’t remember their dreams; that’s unfortunate. They’ve nothing to look back on during the duller moments of the day, when you can bring up one of these night-time shows easier than going through a video library. While the endless, pointless meeting is going on, you are playing back last night’s “on a cruise ship” dream, or whatever sticks out in your mind.

What do they mean? As long as they aren’t repeating all the time, or getting in your way, it doesn’t matter a bit. Just enjoy them as a natural part of that one-third of your life when your imagination runs free, and anything can happen.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some people don’t remember their dreams; that’s unfortunate.
Even more so depending on the reason for not remembering. I rarely remember my dreams, and when I do I don't remember them for very long. But once upon a time I didn't dream at all. I never attained REM sleep---and never felt fully rested.
It's better to have dreamed and lost (the memory) than never to have dreamed at all.

May 11, 2007 6:29 PM  
Blogger Mantelli said...

Didn't Freud say "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar", though?

May 22, 2007 8:55 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

No, not really. It is attributed to him, but not only is there no solid evidence, but there isn't even any unsolid evidence that he said it.

Rudyard Kipling said, "And a woman is only a woman, but a good Cigar is a Smoke," which might have been twisted around. (Ref: "The Quote Verifier," by Ralph Keyes.)

May 23, 2007 12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home