Sunday, June 25, 2006

Watching My Own TV Show

There's nothing I find interesting on tv tonight, so I'm watching one of several shows I produced, directed and did the camera work myself: My cruise videos. I spent time studying how The Travel Channel does things, how it chooses each shot and photographs it. There is an art to camera steadiness, to a smooth zoom (whether in or out) or an equally smooth pan to left or right.

The first tape is relatively good. That is, I've seen far worse from other amateurs on vacation. Some very good moments, some equally poor; most are medium to good. The eye is there.

The following tapes show improvement. When I finish with a subject, I let the camera linger for 3-5 seconds -- giving it a tail. The switch to another shot is not so abrupt that way. I brace myself in whatever way I can, regardless of how it looks; the other passengers will never see me again, so what do I care. That gives my shots a very steady quality, helping the "steady-shot" feature of the camera. My zooms, in or out, are slow, with speed dependent on the subject and action. Panning and zooming are done with great care and only when they help advance the shot.

I want people to think these are, perhaps, professional videos I bought somewhere. Or very top-line semi-professional stuff. I'm competitive; I want my stuff to be better than others' vacation videos.

3 Comments:

Blogger David Yonki said...

Years ago when I was in the Kiwanis club of Wilkes Barre, they used as a fundraiser a Travelogue Show. Every week, some guy would come in and give us a professional slide show of Bora Bora, the Ozarks and other boring stuff. It got to the point where people would pay double the rate "not to attend". Anyway, your shows sound very good and intriguing especially to one who deals with cruises every stinking work day. If you ever have another showing, I'll bring the refreshments. And if you ever have a fundraiser, I'm there. Paying single price, not double because I doubt I'll be bored.
yonkstur

June 26, 2006 11:22 AM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

I have a parent's view of how good my child is. An outsider might see the video a bit differently, but you're welcome to drop by and give the last one a look. Or discreetly view it in the privacy of your own home. People seem to like it a lot.

June 26, 2006 1:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 16.01
louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, nike free, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike air max, michael kors outlet, uggs on sale, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, louboutin, prada handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, ugg boots, michael kors, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, ray ban sunglasses, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, gucci outlet, louboutin outlet, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co, replica watches, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike outlet, christian louboutin outlet, tiffany jewelry, burberry, ugg boots, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, louboutin shoes, louis vuitton

January 06, 2016 2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home