Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day On The Cruise Ship

Didn't call Mom today; she's on a cruise -- rather lengthy one. Way to go, Mom! She's been planning this one for a long time, planning and preparing, making sure she had everything ready, travel documents all in order, etc. I've seen some rough drawings of the ship, but not any of the interior fixings. That will come in time, as I'll be joining her sooner or later. Right now, I've got too much to do, but she's let me know how great it is.

That's why Mother's Day is a happy time for me, as is her birthday and the day she set sail: May 29, 1997. She's been on many earthly cruises (18, with two more planned that weren't to be), and despite their being on a prestigious, 5-star, cruise line, it can't hold a candle to where she is now. You can't even compare it as a sunken garbage scow to the Queen Mary 2. How can you be sad when the greatest person in your life is having the greatest time of her life?

Do I miss her? I don't know ... she's here all the time, right around me, which she could not be "before." She's with me when I'm taking my own earthbound cruises and I can practically turn around and see her. She's in my radio studio when I'm doing a show, in church with me during Mass (to my left, 5 rows back), around when I need help with something. How do you miss someone who isn't gone?

One day, a voice will say, "Grab the special travel documents; the ship is down at the dock and your folks are waiting for you. Your cabin is ready."

2 Comments:

Blogger Reading Reader said...

wow...Your faith is incredible...pass it on. A wonderful piece that I think you should expand and publish in a certain Catholic literary magazine. You can submit via e-mail...contact me via e-mail if you want the url. Many blessings on you today...and everyone else whose heart is touched by your message.

May 15, 2006 12:02 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

This didn't happen all at once; I was terribly broken up for a period of time. It was only after I thought about it for a while that I changed from the child's "Mommy's gone out of my life" to the adult's "Mom's always with me and I just can't see her."

When I remember how happy I was when she was on one of her Caribbean, through the Canal, up the West Coast cruises -- I began to think of her current situation as an even more wonderful cruise. I was not with her on those trips and am not with her on this one ... yet.

Mommy's not dead. Mom is wonderfully happy and waiting for me to join her.

May 16, 2006 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home