Thursday, April 13, 2006

Will You Still Need Me, Will You Still Feed Me, When I'm 64

I remember playing in someone's front yard with Gail Shipp; I was 5 and she was 7. Odd, what you remember from those days. This memory, very distinct, is of me thinking, "7 ... that's old." I've no explanation for why I didn't think of my brother, at 9, as some sort of fossil.

In my early grammar school years, the sixth graders (I think) were allowed to become crossing guards. Again, distinctly, I remember the nuns introducing them to us in that way and I thought, "Sixth grade ... they're all grown up."

When our next-door neighbor Buddy Hewitt, at 15, was walking down the street with someone, they were sort of looking down. Either I was told, or I assumed, that older people walked that way and someday I would, too.

People at 27 were of some indeterminate, unclassified, blah sort of age. Not kids any more, not real adults like our parents.

Above 60? Family garden, take gramps for a drive on Saturdays, speak loudly, tape your name on the bottom of things you want.

So, here I am: 64. I'm too active to have a garden; you don't need to yell, because I can hear the grass growing. My brother and I have been the same age for quite a few years now (at a certain point, four years ceases to be a difference).

I'm a religious person, unlike professional atheist Madelyn Murray O'Hare, who was also born on this day. I love trains, but that's not why the Pennssylvania Railroad was founded on this day.

I arrived at 6:27am on Monday, April 13, 1942. A gentleman named George Rihan was on a bus going to work, and he was passing the hospital pretty close to that time. He lives just a few miles from me now and we have been great friends for over 30 years. "Who goes around, comes around."

3 Comments:

Blogger Reading Reader said...

Many happy returns. As always, we wish you well. We'll feed you anytime!

April 13, 2006 1:07 PM  
Blogger D.B. Echo said...

Happy belated birthday!

April 14, 2006 6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"People at 27 were of some indeterminate, unclassified, blah sort of age. Not kids any more, not real adults like our parents."

Speaking as one born in 1979, you are spot on.

April 21, 2006 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home