Thursday, May 15, 2008

My Brother Talks About His Hobby

Some people have standard hobbies, others collect wood. Firewood. This could be called a hobby all right.

If I’m still here on this earth on June 22, I’ll be 70. My podnah, if he is still on this earth on June 22, he’ll be 80. We’ve been bumming around now for over 30 years and one of our longest passions has been gathering wood to keep our respective homes warm whenever needed.

Wood, the kind we want is all over the place. Trees fall, limbs break and they tumble to the ground just begging to be cut into 16’’ lengths and split to keep some old geezers warm. We are fussy, we will not burn anything other than hardwood aged for two years.

Hobbyists will spend hours in specialized stores and crafts fairs. My digs are neat. No parking problem, no sales tax and nothing is made in China! Think of it now, NOTHING is made in any Asiatic country. Kinda brings back memories of the good ol’ days, doesn’t it?

There’s a thing or two which I have written: “The Art of Woodry,” “Moonwood,” “If My Tailgate Could Talk.”

Pretty much underlines my thirst for the wood and the treating of such, from the saw to stack to stove.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home