Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Gray Line Bus Company

The only bus that came out to our small village was the Gray Line. Those were the days when buses of all kinds ran here and there.

The Barnum and State, for instance, ran between Barnum Avenue and State Street. Then turned around and ran between State Street and Barnum Avenue.

The Chestnut Hill Bus Line ran its smaller buses north from central Bridgeport to somewhere; I never figured out exactly where they ended up, but one destination was the high school I went to.

The CR&L (Connecticut Railway and Lighting) buses, always large and always green, seemed to go everywhere except to our village.

Mom went to the Gray Line barn one day to get some student tokens for me and someone washing a bus gave her a wolf-whistle. She said it was neat; at her age, she was complimented.

I was in a Chestnut Hill bus one day when the elderly, somewhat crippled, driver was waiting for a woman to start up at a stop sign on a hill. She didn’t move, even after he beeped the horn, so he let off the brakes and gently hit her car. She gave him the finger out her window and took off. Ah, those were the days. All the lines are now city-run “People Mover” Transit District Buses. How dull.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, can you give us any insight into George Gilbert.And was he the last of 'The Seven'?

Just Curious/ Thank you.

April 18, 2008 10:24 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

I don't know the man personally, but there were articles in both local papers. I think Len Wolloson is still in Las Vegas, but I'm not sure about that -- nor am I sure if he was part of The Seven. I didn't live here at the time, but was doing my own thing just up the dial a notch in Bridgeport.

Try Dave Yonki at yonkstur@aol.com for more information.

April 19, 2008 2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks........

April 20, 2008 12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home