Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Capital One: What's In *Your* Wallet?

No “Capital One” cards, that’s for sure. But $37; always $37 in these denoms: one 20, one 10, one 5 and two 1’s. I figure it’s the fewest bills (five) you can carry that will take care of any reasonable transaction. No sense in having a pile of 1’s or, for that matter, any other denomination, as I use my credit card for almost everything. That way, I don’t have to carry much cash and I write just one check a month.

Credit cards? Just one: Visa, which is an affinity card with our school. The college gets a small percentage of all sales and that can add up.

Other cards: Medical, of course; my driver’s license with the best photo of me I’ve seen in a long time; a college i.d. card taken by some less-than-breath-mint-IQ genius who had me tilt my head up and my glasses reflected the ceiling lights.

I usually carry four “Get Out of Hell Free” cards, a parody of Monopoly’s “Get Out of Jail Free” card. Waiters and bank tellers seem to love receiving them; born-again Christians tend to be insulted. As a character on Fred Allen’s radio show once said (when his line did not deliver a laugh): “That’s a joke, son.”

My Amateur Radio license is in there, along with a card containing the Country-of-Origin auto VIN codes, Fahrenheit/Celsius temp conversion chart, my fleet driver’s gas number and a few other handy things. I also have a card with my neurologist’s information and all the meds I take. What’s in your wallet?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home