Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Monkey Was Hanging From The Curtain

There is, to my mind, absolutely nothing like a cruise. Yes, I’m in the cheap seats; yes, I have to avoid things that cost. But even a stripped-down sailing is the best value received for money spent that I can think of.

For some, there are the excitement and activities (you’ve seen the Royal Caribbean ads), for others, the freedom to do what you want and when you want to (the ads for Norwegian Cruise Line). For me, it is the quiet elegance of Holland America Line, where I can be quiet and at peace while the entertainment, dancing and nightlife take place elsewhere.

And quiet is what I am looking for. There is, for me, nothing quite like it. Hours every day when I can be alone –or relatively so— to read, look out the windows and ponder the mysteries of the universe.

One evening was a little more exciting. That was the night when, in gale conditions and perhaps two hundred miles out at sea, a crew member’s appendix burst and the Coast Guard flew a helicopter out to take him ashore. You can read all about it at post #57 in my thread, “Live From The Noordam 4/11” at cruisecritic.com (click on “boards,” then click on “Holland America Line”).

The cabin crew makes towel animals for us each evening. On the last evening of the cruise, we came back to find towel monkeys hanging from the curtain valences.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The towel animals sitting on the bed are cute. But those monkeys! On one cruise it was hanging from the ceiling at the foot of the bed. Every time I walked past (and there isn't much room to go around) the thing attacked my head!
Hey---go away! Do I look like a banana?

April 22, 2007 5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your "Live from the (whatever)dam" posts over at CruiseCritic, and this time was no exception. You're right, when it comes to bang for the buck there is NOTHING like a cruise. Welcome back, and I hope you get to leave again soon!

April 25, 2007 12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home