Saturday, July 05, 2008

It Was The Best Traffic Tie-Up

West North Street, going east, usually is an easy drive; seldom is heard a discouraging word, even during rush hour. This was early on a Saturday morning, when you can play marbles between the yellow lane markers. “That’s odd,” I said, in an even voice, “something big must be going on, perhaps a horrible multi-car traffic accident with multitudinous cars of cops, fire engines galore, ambulances and media photographers drooling at the mouth.

A wedding. At the stone church, whose population is about 50, most of whom are on walkers and use oxygen tanks, the rest remember President Johnson – the one who succeeded the assassinated president, Lincoln.

I doubt the wedding actually took place there; most likely they chose that spot as one of several for stunning photo locations. Another was on the diagonal stone staircase of a local lawyers’ offices (splitsville already??) with trees in the background. In front of the church was their royal carriage, pulled by two white horses and driven by a man in full livery. No wonder traffic was tied up; everyone slowed down, or stopped, to take all this in.

It looked a little bit like the marriage of Princess Diana and what’s-his-name, without the “what am I ever getting myself into” look someone captured in a photograph of her at the time. What was his name, anyway? Ah, yes: Prince Philip, already dreaming of what’s-her-name and how he can slip out of the palace tonight.

2 Comments:

Blogger Danny Bauder said...

The wedding DID take place at that church, I know this because I was the best man. It was my brother Mike, and his now-wife, Anne's wedding. Reception followed at the Waterfront.

We took pictures at King's with the groomsmen prior. I'm class of '08. My Dad, Bob is '80 and my Mom, Terry is '79. My Uncle Mike is also '80 and teaches at King's.

July 07, 2008 12:19 AM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

The photo in the newspaper appeared to be taken by the staff photog. I wish your gal had hers printed -- the shot I stopped my car to look at (and I bet a lot of others also stopped, or slowed down for).

That was the super-elegant arrangement in front of the church. Just a marvelous photo in the making. I've never seen anything that good.

July 07, 2008 1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home