Friday, November 10, 2006

My Cell Phone

That’s like "My Lincoln Town Car": Not happening and not gonna. But nice to dream about.

I want a cell phone more than anything I can think of. I need a cell phone less than anything I can think of. For the past four years, I have been trying to find an excuse for buying one, but no matter how hard I try, I just can’t come up with anything.

Long-distance driving? I don’t go more than 20 minutes away from home. Keep in touch with family? Only got one and he doesn’t have a cell phone either.

I’m a communications guy, been in radio since forever, love gadgets that I can talk into. What’s better than a cell phone? It rings, I answer it, drive along and chat with people, walk along the street, right in step with the times.

It’s just that I’m too cheap to buy something that I’ll never use. I want it so bad, but I’m not going to put out the bucks and have it hanging on my belt weighing down my pants.

Sigh.

Some day. When we have moved on to another technology, I’ll suddenly find a reason to have a cell phone.

This is my Thursday post. Blogspot's clock, which used to be five minutes fast, is now seven minutes fast. Not good for those of us who cut it close to midnight.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, look at a pay as you go plan...I like the AT&T/Cingular plan...100 minutes for 25 bucks...use it in 90 days...theoretically you can get by for $100 a year. Also just saw a phone called a "Jitterbug"...very basic...looks like that might fit for you too...personally I like having it but only turn it on when I WANT to!

November 10, 2006 8:05 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

People have told me about several plans. Trouble is, I have absolutely no use for a phone; it would sit there gathering dust.

November 11, 2006 12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Ruth.......LOLOL
Call me slow, but I don't know what you need to be sorry for, Josh ;)

November 11, 2006 10:21 AM  
Blogger Reading Reader said...

Tom, How about I give you one of the kids' play cell phones from when they were babies? One of them might even have a duck on it. They make sounds...and another of them looks quite real. You could get a clip and wear it on your belt. This way, you wouldn't have to pay anything, call anybody, fulfill your wish, and not have to dust...

Cheers!

November 12, 2006 6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home